Welcome to the New Home Inspectors blog! Today, we’re going to discuss something crucial: fire hazards commonly found in homes across Long Island. Fire safety is vital for everyone, including homeowners of all ages. We’ll explain these hazards in simple terms. Let’s begin!

Electrical Problems

During home inspections, we frequently encounter electrical issues, which can pose fire hazards. Here are a few things to be aware of:

  1. Overloaded outlets: Plugging too many devices into one outlet can overload it, causing it to overheat and potentially catch fire. Additionally, avoid using too many extension cords or power strips and spread out your devices across multiple outlets.
  2. Damaged wires: If you see exposed wires or frayed cords, it’s important to address them immediately. These damaged wires can cause a short circuit and start a fire. Always keep an eye out for any signs of wear and tear on your electrical cords.
  3. Outdated wiring: Some older homes on Long Island may have outdated wiring systems that are not equipped to handle modern electrical demands. If your home has not been rewired in a long time, it’s a good idea to have an electrician inspect it.

Cooking Hazards

The kitchen is another area where fires commonly originate. Therefore, pay attention to the following:

    1. Unattended cooking: Never leave the stove or oven unattended while cooking. If you need to step away, make sure to turn off the burners or set a timer to remind you.
    2. Grease buildup: Regularly clean your stovetop and oven to prevent the buildup of grease, which can ignite and cause a fire. Clean up any spills or splatters immediately to avoid accidents.
    3. Flammable items: Keep flammable objects like dish towels, paper towels, and oven mitts away from the stovetop. They can easily catch fire if they come into contact with a hot burner.
    4. BBQs: Grills are commonplace on Long Island. However, common sense and basic grill safety will save you on fires and melted siding.

Heating Sources

In colder months, heating becomes essential. However, heating equipment can pose fire hazards if not handled properly:

      1. Space heaters: If you use space heaters, make sure to keep them at least three feet away from any combustible materials, such as curtains or furniture. Never leave a space heater unattended or use it while you’re asleep.
      2. Fireplaces and chimneys: Regularly clean and maintain your fireplace and chimney to prevent the buildup of creosote, a flammable substance that can ignite and cause chimney fires. Have a professional inspect and clean your chimney annually.
      3. Furnace maintenance: Your home’s furnace should be inspected and maintained regularly to ensure it’s functioning properly and not posing any fire risks.


As responsible homeowners, it’s crucial to be aware of common fire hazards found in Long Island homes. By following these simple guidelines, you can reduce the risk of a fire occurring in your home. Remember to promptly address any electrical problems, practice safe cooking habits, and properly maintain heating sources. If you ever have concerns about fire safety, don’t hesitate to contact professionals like New Home Inspectors for a thorough inspection. Stay safe and protect your home from fire hazards!